On 11/16/2015 09:10 AM, Rich Shepard wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Nov 2015, Dick Steffens wrote:
>
>> That's why I was wondering if Firefox uses a pdf reader as a tool to
>> display a .pdf, and if somehow it is different from the Document Viewer
>> program in Ubuntu 14.04.
> Dick,
>
>     In the firefox frame, when you follow the menus Edit -> Preferences ->
> Applications what do you have for an application for PDFs?
>
>     Here, (firefox-38.4.0; Slackware stays way back from the bleeding edges),
> my preference is to 'Save File' while the other options are 'xpdf (default,'
> 'Adobe Reader 9.5 in firefox,' and 'Other.' Perhaps selecting 'Other' and
> specifying what you want to use will help.

Doh. That's the clue stick I was looking for. I used the hamburger icon
but didn't find preferences in there. I totally forgot to look under Edit.

Anyway, I have Content Type: Portable Document Format (PDF), Action:
Preview in Firefox, followed by Use Document Viewer (Default).

When I open the pdf from a directory with Document Viewer, it looks
correct. Sigh. The option to Use Other ... takes me to "Select Helper
Application" which shows me my desktop. I'm not sure I have any other
pdf viewers loaded.

>     xpdf (at least the Slackware-14.1 version) does not handle pdf-1.6 or -1.7
> which is commonly used now by almost all microserfs; mupdf is an alternative
> that works with all PDF versions.

Interesting. I installed xpdf, then pointed Firefox at it instead of
Document Viewer. Sure enough, when I click on the .pdf, it opens in
xpdf, as a separate window. I switched back to Document Viewer, and now
Firefox opens the .pdf file correctly, but not in a Firefox tab, but in
a separate Document Viewer window.

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens