Neal <nsed...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 25, 2015 at 8:34 PM, <j...@sdf.org> wrote:
> > Ah, okay - thanks for pointing that out.  I'm a bit surprised they would
> > expect to be able to update firmware on hardware they don't own.
>
> I'm pretty sure ALL cable modems run whatever firmware the ISP deems
> appropriate for the cable modem model. They can't let you just do anything
> you want on their network, especially if there is bandwidth limiting
> control at stake. They own the coax side. The ethernet side is all yours.

Ah, okay - maybe the network topology of coax setups require this?  I'm
fine with that.  I've actually never had cable so this is new stuff to
me.  For xDSL service one simply just needs to have a supported modem,
though I know the CenturyLink-supplied modems have remote configure daemons
running, tr69 and tr64 IIRC.  On the Actiontek models that run Linux +
busybox you can log in and kill those manually.

Jeff