From: plug-boun...@lists.pdxlinux.org [mailto:plug-boun...@lists.pdxlinux.org]
On Behalf Of David
Sent: Tuesday, February 16, 2016 11:34 PM
To: plug@lists.pdxlinux.org
Subject: Re: [PLUG] Tool to test internet speed

On 02/16/2016 08:18 PM, John Jason Jordan wrote:
> On Tue, 16 Feb 2016 14:53:30 -0800
> Jim Garrison <j...@jhmg.net> dijo:
>
>> But you should disable all other bandwidth-consuming processes in
>> order to get an actual performance figure.  Also remember the speed
>> of any connection depends not on your speed but the speed of the
>> slowest segment between you and the remote end.
>
> OK, this evening I have been doing some experimenting. I started by
> just using Speedtest again, as I did this morning, with everything
> still running. The results were the same as this morning, e.g.:

<snip>

> Through all these tests I sometimes pointed Speedtest at different
> servers, including even servers in Europe, but there was no
> appreciable change in the performance.
>
> And to repeat, I am paying Comcast for Performance-75 service, which
> is supposed to give me 50-75 Mbps down and 25 Mbps up. And until a
> couple weeks ago I used to see upload speeds of around 25 Mbps.
>
> Any suggestions for what I should do next?

The only thing you can do at this point is to contact Comcast, but they will
probably tell you what I've heard before: they only guarantee the upload speeds
to the edge of their network.

If you run the speed test using the Comcast tool pointing to an internal
Comcast server and still don't get what you are paying for, then you have a
very valid complaint and they need to fix it.

What you get after exiting the Comcast network will vary, and based on your
numbers, may indicate a Comcast cap in place for some reason.

dafr