Hi there,

>I have a group of systems that I need to monitor for use of
>approved SSL cipher suites. Wireshark is not available on them.
>tcpdump is the tool I need to use.

>Do you know, or know someone who would know, how to contruct a
>tcpdump filter that matches only packets for the SSL handshake?
>
>Due to the volume of traffic on the systems I cannot capture
>everything and filter later.
>
>The most useful hint found so far is at:
>http://serverfault.com/questions/574405/tcpdump-server-hello-certificate-filter

I'll take a stab at your question from a slightly different angle.

Rather than trying to get the BPF just right for something that is a
few layers higher in the stack (and requires some stream
reassembly logic), perhaps you could try a tool that operates on the
stream.

I know you mentioned that wireshark was not available.  Are you able
to install software on these systems?  If so, then you may find that
the ssldump program [0] provides you output detail that is closer to
your desired question.

I have never used ssldump in production, but it seems a handy little
tool:

  ssldump  -i "${INTERFACE}" -P

The -i specifies interface.  The -P says, don't get promiscuous.
Hopefully it is in your upstream distribution.  I find it in the
stock repositories for both OpenSUSE-13.2 and Ubuntu-14.04.3.

Need to capture the textual output?  Use, tee, maybe?

Die, RC4, die [1].

-Martin

 [0] http://ssldump.sourceforge.net/
 [1] https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7465