About a week ago I added a USB 3.0 external DVD drive to my laptop. It
has been working fine. Today I disconnected it when I took the computer
to the Clinic. Also, before going to the Clinic I installed all the
recent updates for the OS (Xubuntu 14.04). There were a lot of updates,
including a new kernel. The laptop functioned fine at the Clinic.

Back home I reconnected the new DVD drive, and used it to rip and encode
a DVD from my collection. This went perfectly. Then I started to rip
and encode a second DVD, but this one hung at 85%, probably due to the
media being scratched. I was encoding with Handbrake, so I stopped the
encoding, but Handbrake would not stop. This has been a bug in
Handbrake for a long time, although the upgrades I did this morning
included a new version. In the past I could simply kill Handbrake, then
manually eject the DVD. When I did so this time the computer hung - no
keyboard, no mouse. (No I don't have a way to SSH into it.)

I powered down and restarted it, then I cleaned the DVD media and tried
again. And once again, Handbrake hung on about 85%. I killed Handbrake
again, but this time the DVD light was still flickering. So I pressed
the eject button several times, and was suddenly greeted with a black
screen full of unintelligible command-line type text, and two lights
were flashing (hard drive and numlock? - can't remember which is
which).

Again, I rebooted and everything is fine.

This happened to me once a number of years ago and I was told that
flashing lights mean a kernel panic. Beyond that I know nothing.

I need suggestions.