>>>>> "Chuck" == Chuck Hast <wch...@gmail.com> writes:

Chuck> The combination you mention here WiFi analyzer and Kismet are my
Chuck> two favorite tools, I used to do RF surveys for utilities, so am
Chuck> somewhat familiar with it, There are much more expensive tools
Chuck> but those two will give you plenty to work with.

Caleb Phillips and I did a survey of the MetroFi network in early 2007.
I even did a PLUG talk about it a *long* time ago.  We did signal
strength mapping, basically war-driving the Proof-of-Concept area (over
every paved street and parking lot), and then we did a simple random
sample of about 100 outdoor locations within 1000 feet of a MetroFi node
in the Proof-of-Concept area.  The simple random sample tested a bunch
of things including signal strength, ability to get a DHCP lease and
throughput testing.  We wrote a report, but I'm not sure where it's
online anymore.  The official city-contracted testers (we had been
unsuccessful bidders, through PSU) assumed that a particular signal
strength was equivalent to a connection.  We went the extra mile and
actually tried to make bits go back and forth.  All of our test
apparatus was built from off the shelf routers, OpenWrt software, and
custom scripts.

I have offered to do a PLUG talk on war-sailing the coastal waters of
Oregon and the lower Columbia river last autumn on an oceanographic
research cruise.  I probably need to clear that with my employer at the
time, but I expect they'd say yes.

--
Russell Senior, President
russ...@personaltelco.net