On 06/16/2016 04:13 PM, Rich Shepard wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Jun 2016, King Beowulf wrote:
>
>> SLackbuilds.org has utimer.
>
> Ed,
>
>    Kewel tool! Now I can time my presentation to the 1/1000 of a second. :-)
>
>    It didn't occur to me to check SBo for a solution.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Rich

Here's a Linux built in version for simple timer.  Use the internal bash
or external 'time' function. the command 'cat' is used since without
args it waits for stdin input.  CTRL-C exits:

BASH:
-----

$ time cat
^C

real    0m3.675s
user    0m0.004s
sys     0m0.001s

EXTERNAL (see 'man time' for gory details):
#Elapsed real time (in [hours:]minutes:seconds)

$ /usr/bin/time -f %E cat
^CCommand terminated by signal 2
0:06.93

#Elapsed real time (in seconds).

$ /usr/bin/time -f %e cat
^CCommand terminated by signal 2
20.07

Yep, Sat morn and the yard won't mow itself....so I fiddle with bash
instead...

-Ed