I can highly recommend Synology, DSxxx

I use Synology NAS for about 6 years after switching from Netgear Readynas.
Compared to what I could build myself and/or Readynas - Synology is faster,
has more features, quiet, lower power, cheaper and absolutely trouble free.

Having NAS is not free (as in beer), but it saves me a lot of $ over time on
client storage, allow me to centralize and share storage, makes backup
possible, and simple. I usually upgrade in about 5 years and keep the old unit
for critical data backup. I would recommend using redundant setup if you do
not want to risk loosing data, be it raid1,5 or 6. I use raid 5 in 4 disk
unit.

I access the data on NAS  by NFS on linux and by CIFS/SMB on Windows. Note
that using CIFS/SMB shares needs creating local users on the NAS which is then
best to configure as AD + join your win PCs to it in order to manage all users
centrally. If you do not use NAS as AD, you will need to synchronize clients-
NAS users manually.
Bonus points: if using local AD for logins you will avoid all this Win 10
forced upgrade mess completely.

Hope it helps,
Tomas