>>>>> "Charles" == Charles Hill <crh...@gmail.com> writes:

Charles> I’ve been distro jumping the last few months, Xubuntu, Linux
Charles> Mint, Linux Mate, “Ubuntu 16.04” just to name a few and I
Charles> constantly run into Wi-Fi connectivity issues. Disconnects, low
Charles> signal, etc. I’m using a Lenovo laptop G50 with the dreaded
Charles> Realtek RL8723BE wireless card.

Charles> What wireless card works well “most” of the time with various
Charles> distro’s? So far I know Realtek and Broadcom cards basically
Charles> suck without mods and hacks.

Atheros (or QCA) and Intel radios generally have the best driver support
for client devices.  Atheros/QCA can do most operational modes
(including AP-mode), while Intel generally can't afaik.  In a laptop,
this probably isn't an important distinction, but it's something I
notice.

Replacing a radio in a laptop, particularly in a Lenovo laptop might not
be a straightforward operation.  The vendor BIOS often "locks" the
hardware to certain radio models, for FCC compliance reasons.  At least,
they have in the past.  It might just work, and/or there may be
workarounds, but be prepared for the laptop to not boot if you have
swapped out radios.

--
Russell Senior, President
russ...@personaltelco.net