You should be able to look at the library function and confirm his claims.
One byte writes to any flash device would be really slow as the block size
on a flash device is at least 512 bytes most of the time one, larger like
2048 or 4096.  So the device will be doing a read, modify write until the
whole block gets replaced.  Writing the whole block in one pass, will
greatly speed up the process.