I have a Play station II that isn't modified.  It's the fat variety,
not a slim one.

I've found via Newegg a USB adapter that supports the stock PS/2 controllers.

Wonderful, but how do I get PCSX2 installed on Fedora 24 and how do I
get my saved games
from PS/2 memory cards to USB thumb drives that will work on the Linux
machine?  What is
McBoot and why do I need it?

Is there a USB to play station II memory card Adapter for Linux?

Does anyone think that what you find on youtube about backing up play
station II memory
cards to a PC is too complicated?

I want to recover my saved games on my 8 meg play station II memory
card.  I don't want
to modify the play station II, at least not permanently.  Once I've
successfully moved
from PS2 memory card to standard usb thumb drive, I can see about
getting rid of the console
and running my games via emulation instead.