For an inexpensive laptop in the size you requested, I highly recommend a
Thinkpad x230, or x220 if you want to save more money. They are available
all over eBay and craigslist, have extremely well documented Linux support,
use standard drives, have tons of ports (including Ethernet), and are about
3 pounds. The x230 has usb 3, not sure about the x220. Both models also
have multiple battery sizes available and you can slot them in as needed.
Honestly other than graphics there's not a lot different about an x230 than
a newer laptop performance wise - the newer Intel chips give you better
battery life but the benchmarks are still competitive on these laptops
especially with the i7 model. RAM can be upgraded to 16gb I believe, and it
uses a standard 2.5 drive so you can get whatever SSD capacity you want.

I replaced the display panel on mine and it took me about five minutes,
which coming from the apple universe really sold me on them.

If you decide to get one, do yourself a favor and get one with an IPS
display, or buy it afterwards for $60. It makes a massive difference.