On Thu, Dec 15, 2016 at 08:25 Erik Lane <erikl...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>

> I'm having a problem even figuring out how to word my question. I've tried
>
> many searches, but I haven't been able to find it.
>

> I'm trying to record a VHS tape to a video file. I have a Hauppauge
>
> internal video card (HVR-1255 it shows up as in dmesg, but the label says
>
> 1250.)
>

> When I try to use any video recorder, I have all kinds of issues. I finally
>
> managed to get mplayer to show some video, but it was black and white, and
>
> not even very good looking at that. I also tried in TvTime, and it shows a
>
> wonderful picture as well as good audio.
>

> So my question is, how do I get a look at what settings TvTime is sending
>
> to the video driver? If at all possible I would like to duplicate those so
>
> that mencoder can capture the video for me. If people know directly, great,
>
> but if someone can give me a clue stick on even what terms to search for,
>
> I'd be very grateful!
>

> If I've left out any important details, please let me know. I'm an
>
> engineer, not a linux or computing professional, so while I'm very
>
> comfortable with linux, I'm definitely no expert. I have Linux Mint 18 on
>
> here, and it's 64 bit.

No one is an expert until you ask questions and fiddle around...

I haven't used tvtime so not sure of the underlying caoture libraries.

I would try ffmpeg.  mplayer/mencoder can be cranky unless the video format
is absolutely correct - also depends how you distro compiled the package.

ffmpeg is more flexible and gives lots of feedback on the CLI. If the
capture card runs via v4l2 it should work.