> All the Google searches show how to use semanage, but with no status for
> the selinux user that is created the Dbus cannot send messages to the X
> window system.  The
> message I get is:
>
> Unable to contact settings server
>
> THE QUESTION, finally:
> How do I get out of this ChromeOS jail?   I want X windows to work so I
> an use OpenCPN on my sailboat.

A quick and easy way to get out of the ChromeOS jail is to disable SELInux
temporarly and put it into permissive mode which shouold allow to use
OpenCPN and give you time to research the problem more or just be able to
toggle SELinx for when you use OpenCPN.

   - *Permissive* - switch the SELinux kernel into a mode where every
   operation is allowed. Operations that would be denied are allowed and a
   message is logged identifying that it would be denied. The mechanism that
   defines labels for files which are being created/changed is still active.

Temporarily switch off enforcement
You can switch the system into permissive mode with the following command:

echo 0 >/selinux/enforce

You'll need to be logged in as root, and in the sysadm_r role:

newrole -r sysadm_r

To switch back into enforcing mode:

echo 1 >/selinux/enforce

To check what mode the system is in,