> On Jan 6, 2017 11:52 PM, "Dick Steffens" <d...@dicksteffens.com> wrote:
>
> <...>
>
> Before going through that process I ran the test at speedtest.net on two
> machines in the house:
>
> Machine Ping      Download     Upload
> Wife's Win97     17 ms     91.29 Mbps    6.1  Mbps
> My Ubuntu 14.04  20 ms    119.02 Mbps    6.18 Mbps
>
> I ran mine a second time and got
>
>                     9 ms    119.62 Mbps    9.19 Mbps

I shut down my machines and battery backups overnight tonight just in
case we lost power in the middle of the night. As far as I can tell, we
didn't lose power. So, I turned things back in in the recommended order:
cable modem first, router second, computer third. And since the cable
modem is not in the living room, and my computer is upstairs from there,
I had more than the requested time between turning each on.

This morning's speeds are similar to yesterday's:

                      9 ms    119.63 Mbps    6.07  Mbps

While I couldn't think of anything big to download, I did try a 36.7 MB
mp3 transcription file, before shutting down last night, and again after
starting back up this morning using Filezilla. Its reports are similar
to each other:

Last night:
Response:    150-Accepted data connection
Response:    150 35792.5 kbytes to download
Response:    226-File successfully transferred
Response:    226 7.532 seconds (measured here), 4.64 Mbytes per second

This morning:
Response:    150-Accepted data connection
Response:    150 35792.5 kbytes to download
Response:    226-File successfully transferred
Response:    226 7.376 seconds (measured here), 4.74 Mbytes per second

On 01/08/2017 06:17 AM, Bill Barry wrote:

> On Jan 8, 2017 1:06 AM, "Dick Steffens"
>
>> Maybe your router had already rebooted since the upgrades for other
>> reasons
>> and your tests are just showing the upgraded speeds?
>
> It's a Buffalo WZR-600DHP running stock firmware. Does it reboot
> itself without intervention from me?
>
> I'm about to try Kieth's recommendation before shutting down for the
> night -- which I usually don't do. But with the weather and potential
> for losing power I'll have clean shutdowns if power goes off in the
> middle of the night.
>
>> Yes if the power goes of in the middle of the night.

I would expect it to reboot itself if the power goes off, but I wouldn't
expect it to reboot on its own otherwise.

Another thought is that the cable modem is one of Comcast's tall boxes,
which includes a router. So now I have a router before my Buffalo.
Perhaps it rebooted itself somewhere along the line.

--

Regards,

Dick Steffens