This makes me curious. Can you post your friend's actual URL so we can see?

My *guess* is that actually you have the singleplatform app installed
on the mobile in question and it's doing something shady with the
mobile OS' URL->app registry. I've seen a lot of this from apps
overall.

What happens if you useragent-spoof as a mobile on your desktop?
What happens if you useragent-spoof on the mobile as desktop ("request
desktop site" in some versions of chrome)?

-Leander