On Thu, 2 Mar 2017, Larry Brigman wrote:

> If you started it with nohup; it will stay running until it exits on its
> own or is killed. The output of jobs (based on my reading) is local to the
> running shell. So each window/shell could result in different output. If
> the shell closes, the jobs list is removed. Current running jobs would
> receive a SIGHUP when the shell closes. NOHUP causes the shell to not send
> the signal, just like if disown job_num was issued.

Larry,

   I forgot that nohup is local to the starting shell.

> These background jobs tend to be monitored by a status file.  If you don't
> have some way to determine how far into the program/data the program has
> progressed you won't know it has stalled.

   That's true.

> Putting this in screen or tmux will allow you to come back to the session
> even if you have totally logged out of the machine. To check the status,
> login and re-attach to the (still) running session.

   A good lesson. Next time I'll learn how to use screen or tmux instead of
nohup. But, I have a time-step issue to result first. Running in the
foreground the ETA for the run completion keeps increasing so I need to
learn how to get daily time steps rather than one-second time steps. A
message to the model's author is waiting for a response.

Thanks very much,

Rich