Hi Mike,

You should consider coming to OWASP meetings as well.  One of them is
tonight, which unfortunately conflicts with RainSec, but that doesn't
typically happen.  We post our event notices a variety of places, but
Calagator is where all the info typically resides:
  http://calagator.org/events/1250471438

You don't need to be a security expert to attend RainSec or OWASP.
Just come to learn and meet people.

I could point you to various resources on what else you could read up
on to expand your security knowledge, but I'm not sure what your goals
are.  Information security is a very broad set of topics and many
might bore you...

tim