On 08/06/2017 09:21 PM, John Jason Jordan wrote:
> On Sun, 6 Aug 2017 16:40:01 -0700 (PDT)
> Rich Shepard <rshep...@appl-ecosys.com> dijo:
>
>> On Sun, 6 Aug 2017, John Jason Jordan wrote:
>>
>>> I'll disagree with the suggestion to use Lyx, but only because Joe
>>> said that he needed to do college papers. For academic writing today
>>> you are in a world of pain doing citations and the references
>>> section unless you have either Zotero or Mendeley, and both work
>>> only with LO/OO or MS Word.
>> I did not mean to be harsh in my response, but LaTeX/LyX and bibtex (or
>> biblatex) are very heavily used in academia. Take a look at it.
> I suspect that you are out of date. Indeed, those tools still exist and
> they are amazing. But the PSU Department of Applied Linguistics teaches
> graduate students how to use Zotero to create the student's
> bibliographic database and use it to create citations and references
> with Word or Writer. Consider the following workflow and compare it to
> your tools:
>
> 1) I open a web page that contains a book, journal article, or web
> content. At this point Zotero (which is an add-on for Firefox or
> Chrome) adds a little icon to the title bar - a book icon if the work
> is a book, a text icon for articles, etc. I click on the icon and the
> work is automatically added to my database, complete with all the stuff
> needed to create citations and references lists in my word processor
> later. I can do this with any web page that has a work on it, including
> web pages from any library. As it adds the work it pops up a split
> screen in the web browser where the bottom half will display what
> Zotero proposes to add to my database of works. About one time out of
> twenty Zotero messes up slightly and I need to make a minor
> correction, e.g., Zotero thought that 'Joe Blow' was the author of the
> work but in fact he is the editor. Except for such corrections I don't
> have to type a thing, almost completely eliminating typos in my
> citations and references list.
>
> Later as I am writing my paper in Writer I decide to cite Blow's work.
> Zotero has a second add-on for Writer (strangely it is installed in
> Firefox, yet its functions are in Writer). The functions are available
> in a Zotero toolbar, whose leftmost icon is 'Citation.' I click on the
> Citation icon and I get a Zotero popup whose opening page asks me what
> academic style I want. I select APA, and thereafter this question is
> never asked again - the add-on makes this a part of the document. Then
> the popup asks me to select the work I want to cite, displaying a list
> in alphabetical order by author. I select Blow's work and instantly the
> citation appears in my paper, in perfect APA formatting. (There are
> options, e.g., I can add a page number to the citation.)
>
> Finally, as I have finished writing the final paragraph of my paper, as
> a student who understands APA style requirements, I enter a blank line,
> then type and center 'References,' then another blank line. At this
> [...]
         Wow, John, thanks for the enthusiastic details! for references
& citation sand other APA goodness,  I'v ebuilt styles in LO as needed.
Marylhurst's library access to EBSCO lets me choose a style for
citations ,and it's just a copy&paste from there into my References section.

  On a related note, I'm contemplating purging my (Ubuntu 16.04)system
of LO and installing OO, as it seems to have a better reputation for
stability and developer responsiveness to bugs. Any opinions on that
among PLUGGers?