My house is wired with Cat6 ethernet to which everything is connected,
including an HDHomeRun TV tuner (the Connect, not the Extend or the
Prime). The incoming signal is just an over the air antenna. The router
is a D-Link DIR-860L B1 (thanks again, Russell). The router also
supplies wireless, used only by my phone and my laptop, although the
laptop is also wired.

Everything works perfectly except that the HDHomeRun Config GUI pops up
a 'communication error' message periodically. Sometimes I can go a
couple days without it happening, but this evening it happened three
times, one right after the other. I can recover just by scrolling up or
down in the channel list in the HDHomeRun confit GUI. In other words,
this is a major annoyance, but not a total fail.

Side note: All my computers are just straight Xubuntu 14.04, up to
date. There is no mythtv installed. All I use to view television on VLC
is the HDHomeRun Config GUI.

The manufacturer, Silicondust, provides occasional firmware updates.
The latest is dated 8/15/2017 and I have applied it, but there was no
change in the frequency of the errors.

At the last Clinic I brought up this issue and Tomas suggested setting
up a cron job to ping the HDHomeRun device periodically. After thinking
about it I think that this would accomplish nothing. It would respond
to the ping and several hours later would lose the connection again.

I could use some suggestions.