I've had this issue on portables for years and have not yet found a
working solution. On each host I have the file ~/.Xmodmap (which swaps the
left cap lock and control keys). In ~/.bash_profile is the command,
xmodmap ~/.Xmodmap.

   This does not work on the current or prior portables (except the Dell
Latitude E5410). After starting Xfce4 I need to manually enter this command.
There also are system files that supposedly direct the system to read
.Xmodmap, but nothing is working.

   Has anyone fixed this problem? I'd really like to find where to put the
xmodmap command so it is applied to all virtual terminals when Xfce4 is
running.

Rich