On Thu, 7 Sep 2017, Dale Snell wrote:

> You didn't specify find's target correctly.  I did a
>    find /usr -name assoc\* -print
> and got four significant results:
>    /usr/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/obsolete/assoc.elc
>    /usr/share/emacs/24.5/lisp/obsolete/assoc.el.gz
>    /usr/local/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/obsolete/assoc.el.gz
>    /usr/local/share/emacs/25.1/lisp/obsolete/assoc.elc

Dale,

   I found the same two for 24.5.

   When I removed those two files and re-started emacs it did not correctly
load, telling me there was a problem (without specifying what it was). I
restored assoc.el* from the backup and emacs once again loads but tells me
that assoc is obsolete. Sigh.

   Why it's telling me this when the package is in the obsolete directory
makes no sense ... to me, at least. But, I'll let it be happy to show the
statement and just continue using emacs.

Thanks very much,

Rich