I'd like suggestions for web search phrases because what I've tried
haven't produced useful hints.

   Accessing the Washington Dept. of Ecology's web site
<http://www.ecy.wa.gov/> I see most text, except for the window with their
twitter tweets. When I follow the orange link to ">> Databases" none of the
body text displays.

   The page source code has a link to their css: <link rel="stylesheet"
href="/css/2016ECYhome.css" type="text/css">
and that file has the acceptable fonts for all body text as
verdana,arial,sans-serif:

/* ecy2011.css  UPDATED july 2016 = adding new menu bar*/
/*************** ALL PAGES ***************/
body {
                font-family:verdana,arial,sans-serif;
                font-size:11px;
                line-height:150%;
                margin-top:0px;
                margin-left:0px;
                color:#036;
                background-color:#607e7a;
                background: url("/images/bodybg.gif");
                background-repeat: repeat;
      }

   This host has Arial Regular and Bold installed as well as several other
san-serif type faces. I want to learn why they're not found in
/usr/share/fonts/TTF/ or ../OTF/.

   The contents of these two directories are the same as those for a long
time (except for a few Asian language fonts and decorative fonts).

   A search phrase, "web site does not display body text," brings up many
hits by developers about their text not displaying on mobile devices or