Rich,

My apologies for not being clear. What you describe is exactly what I have
and want to accomplish.
* 1 TB drive just for OS  - currently a fresh install of Ubuntu 20.04 with
nothing in /home/mark
* 4TB drive holds the back up of home/mark - i.e. all "my stuff"  (about
2.1 TB). I want to just keep adding to this backup of my old /home/mark
directory. I only have the old OS stuff on the 4 TB drive to get the
configuration files as needed.  For example, I moved the etc/hosts file
from the 4TB drive to the 1 TB drive so I have all my remote and local
connections working. As I add more applications (e.g mysql) to my new OS
drive, I want the old config files around to see what mods I made over the
years. There are also scripts I wrote over time to automate some of my
tasks, and I want to have access to them as I slowly "rebuild" my system.

My old system had the 1 TB drive and a 2 TB drive in a lvm (because I had
more than 2 TB of stuff I was working on), so when the upgrade failed, I
arrived at this point in time. Plus, I was running out of space in the 3 TB
lvm, and Amazon had a reasonable sale price on a 4 TB SSD. ;)

The point of my question was to get opinions on which is better and why,
* mounting the home/mark directory on the 4 TB drive using bind to
/home/mark on the 1 TB drive
* or sym-link home/mark on the 4 TB drive to /home/mark on the 1 TB drive.

I hope that clarifies it!

Mark