On Sun, Jul 24, 2022 at 12:05:24PM -0400, Daniel Ortiz wrote:
> The website may contain what you are looking for, but maybe it helps you.
> https://www.leaseville.com/computers-tablets/computer-components/hard-drive.html?p=1

That's a cool website, worth considering in the future.
Useful for "try before you buy", though the Samsung QVO
on the first page reminds me that first impressions are
poor indicators of long-term reliability.

Another issue is "wipe after use".  Large sophisticated
storage systems swap replacement sectors - the QVO does
this internally and frequently.  The replaced sectors may
no longer be evident, but they may retain most of the
data written on them.  What if that data is a copy of
/etc/passwd?  When you return your leased drives, wiped
to the best of your ability, what might a clever future
user extract from one of them?

----

However, the larger question about during-upgrade
storage space is "where is the backup"?

Redundant RAID protects against random hardware failure,
but not "sudo rm -rf /<enter>",
mistakenly typed when you had instead planned to type
"sudo rm -rf /<right-shift-letter><letter>..."

Before migrating stored data, I would make sure everything
is backed up locally.  I would test the backups, and use
the migration to test the restore process.

Rule #1: "If you don't have two copies, you will soon have
zero copies".

Given my frequent typing mistaeks, I aim for four copies,
with one copy in a bank vault, miles away.

Keith

--
Keith Lofstrom          kei...@keithl.com