Can I rely on Ubuntu/MATE and apt/deb into the future?

Many on the plug list use Ubuntu or derivatives like Mint.

I am  moving to MATE Ubuntu LTS from 20+ years of Red Hat
Enterprise Linux derivatives because Red Hat has moved to
"stream" distros and Gnome3.  Keeping my own cheezy coding
hacks working in the Gnome3 environment is Too Hard.

Rocky Linux isn't an option because they don't support
MATE/Gnome2, while my vision and coordination does not
support Gnome3.

I've migrated systems towards Ubuntu-MATE 20.04 LTS and
apt/deb for months.  It meets my needs, but will support
endure?

I'm dabbling with Ubuntu 22.04.1 "beta" now; the release
was scheduled for Thursday August 4, but delayed a week
because of a problem with "snaps", Ubuntu's walled-garden
package system.

This may not bode well for the future; while I can
configure gnome packages and Debian apt, Canonical may
stop supporting that.

I'm not looking for a fashionable distro - I'm looking
for a stable and secure distro on which I can build
and maintain my own content (mostly huge numerical
simulation jobs written in C, with graphical output).

Is it reasonable to assume Ubuntu MATE will endure for
a decade or two?  Or is it more reasonable to rely on
Debian MATE?

Keith

--
Keith Lofstrom          kei...@keithl.com