On Thu, 11 Aug 2022, Russell Senior wrote:

The worldwide supply of raspberry pi's available through ordinary retail
channels is zero right now (or was the last I looked). But they'd be a
good choice.

Russell,

Huh! Part of the computer chip shortage?

The missing information is "how far away is your coffee roaster?" If you
are close enough, you could use a microcontroller like an arduino or
similar and interface with the sensor of your choice directly to a PC over
USB. Your range with USB is usually 5 meters.

I want a small unit (an arduino would be fine) that sits next to the roaster
and stores data on an SD card, USB drive, or similar storage device.

I don't know very much about measuring temperatures up to 500F, I am
mostly interested in air temps and related phenomena. Look on some place
like adafruit.com for a sensor and how to interface with it.

There seem to be availble probes but finding a sensor to which the probe
connects that works with an arduino or raspberry pi has been a challenge.

The adafruit.com web site has a probe/sensor with a maximum temperature of
125F and I didn't see a 'contact us' link where I could ask about a higher
temperature sensor.

Thanks,

Rich