On Mon, Aug 22, 2022 at 3:05 PM Keith Lofstrom <kei...@kl-ic.com> wrote:

> I have been slowly transitioning some systems away from
> increasingly-open-source-unfriendly Redhat derivatives
> (and RPM distros) to Ubuntu 20.04.x (and APT/DEB, or so
> I thought).   My goal is a maximum-stable malware-free
> environment, not the shiniest-latest dancing-bearware.
>
> Today I migrated a test machine to Ubuntu 22.04.1.
> I expected all the upgrades to be DEB packages.
>
> Surprise!  Canonical provides Firefox as a SNAP package,
> their own walled-garden flavor (like RPM).  I had hoped
> to escape jails of that kind.
>
> There are many Debian and Ubuntu (and derivatives) adepts
> on this list.  Is there a painless way to configure Ubuntu
> to use only DEB files, with alternate repositories for
> Firefox and similar apps?  Repositories to use, or avoid?
> Well written tutorials?

I find that Firefox works best if installed directly with the FIrefox
official installation. It updates itself and in general behaves better
than any of the packages I have tried. It is always as up to date as
possible and that is more important with browsers than most programs.
Just install from https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/new/

BIll