On Tue, Dec 19, 2023 at 11:15:01AM -0800, Michael Ewan wrote:
> It seems there are a lot of sources for the #48 toner, is "decent" the
> problem?

Many of those are "drill-and-fill", without replacing
seals and gaskets and streaky drums.  After a second
multihour strip-and-clean of my old HLPJ 4M, I also
(like Galen) gave my old machine to younger owner.

Besides toner, and slow processing speed, the 4M was
a great machine - we used to claim that it could print
tee-shirts.  I currently use two HP4100N printers with
duplexers, with one spare, but face a similar "crappy
toner" risk.

The risk is not as bad as my hp2605dn color laser printer,
which has FOUR toner cartridges that can leak, and a fan
that can suck leaked toner into the optical box.  That is
a two hour teardown and rebuild, just to wipe a bit of
toner off the mirrors.  When it works, it makes BEYOOTIFUL
color images, unlike the Brother MFC-9440CN that I mostly
use.  The Brother is easy to fix and clean, but the images
look like a child's crayon drawings.  Sigh.

Keith

--
Keith Lofstrom          kei...@keithl.com