On 2/1/24 16:16, Russell Senior wrote:
I think all the major carriers have an email to SMS gateway. That is, you can email an special address and it will be converted to an SMS and delivered to mobile devices. I have a watchdog processes that checks ping-ability to a particular address and if it fails, I send an email to myself with: sendmail <my-10-digit-phone-number>@tmomail.net

Works at least in that direction.

As a test, I email'd my t-mobile sms gateway, received the SMS right away, replied with my SMS messaging app, and about 10 minutes later, the reply showed up in my email box. The delay appears to be a result of some greylisting in the return path.

--
Russell Senior
russ...@pdxlinux.org