"The most troubling aspect is that there's too little supervision of changes in
projects."

Nope! It's far less about supervision and far more about process. Especially in
the FOSS world, which relies heavily on peer review & the user community to
ferret out bad code as happened in this cause by someone doing database
benchmark tests and noticed the SSH logins were taking much longer than normal.

If you've ever found yourself supervising a bad process, you'd know this beyond
a shadow of a doubt.

I can't tell you the number of jobs, where as a technical person, I did way
more work fixing bad & broken processes than I did fixing bad & broken workers,
with the exception of the occasional incompetent, lazy or bad worker who
doesn't want to follow process or is unable to. In which case, you set them
free to find another job! =)