On 10/1/24 11:10, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
Damn.  I have an OpenWRT AP network of around 40 devices and was planning to go
to this one.  But I got COVID on Friday and I don't think any of you are going
to want me there that soon afterwards.  Will this be recorded?

Sadly, not unless Michael shows up with recording gear.

Ted

-----Original Message-----
From: PLUG <plug-boun...@lists.pdxlinux.org> On Behalf Of Russell Senior
Sent: Friday, September 27, 2024 8:09 PM
To: plug-annou...@lists.pdxlinux.org; plug@lists.pdxlinux.org
Subject: [PLUG] ANNOUNCEMENT: Portland Linux/Unix Group General Meeting:
OpenWISP

Who: Eldo Varghese
What: OpenWISP, an Open Source Network Management System for OpenWrt
Where: 1930 SW 4th Avenue, Portland, Oregon 97201-5304, Room 86-01
When: Thursday, October 3, 2024 at 7 PM
Why: The pursuit of technology freedom

https://calagator.org/events/1250481330

There are many commercial wifi access point (AP) controller setups, ie a single
management interface to control multiple APs. Until recently there wasn't a
FLOSS method of doing this. OpenWISP
(https://openwisp.org/) is a modular and programmable Open Source Network
Management System for OpenWrt. In this presentation we will go over the simple
installation and setup process, including connection to multiple OpenWrt access
points.

Bio:

Eldo Varghese is a constant nomad that has settled in Portland as of 3 years
ago. Recently turned 40 and looking for more community in his old age.
Currently works in an SRE/Devops role at a small non-profit academic journal
(https://plos.org). Involved in Linux community in some fashion since 2007, and
have used OpenWrt for the past 15 years.

Venue:

This month marks the return of PLUG to Portland State University, since the
pandemic. Thanks to the Computer Science Department and to Andrew Greenberg for
hosting us! The room is the traditional one in the basement of the PSU
Engineering Building (also connected underground to the Fourth Avenue Building,
or FAB). The outside door will be locked, but there should be someone present
at the entrance to the Engineering Building to let you in starting at 6:40pm
until 7pm. There will be a sign on the door with a phone number you can SMS if
there isn't someone there to let you in immediately.

PS: We are going to need a volunteer to hang out by the outside door until
start time to let people in, let me know if you are willing to do that. Thanks!

--
Russell Senior
PLUG Volunteer