> For me, its the simplicity of it, and the legacy of it working for a long
time, and
> the utter lack of modern best practices documentation.
> If you go looking for NFS howto's, you almost immediately notice that they
> are all at least 10 years old, and there is pretty much nowhere to ask
> questions.  At least, that has been the case in the past when I've tried
to go
> looking.  UDP in particular is stateless, which is a nice feature.

It's a bit surprising there isn't much NFS how to online, but most of the
NFS developer community is involved with enterprise servers and probably the
how to stuff is in product installation guides and such...

If you don't really require fcntl locks, then NFS v3 is certainly a simple
protocol for transferring data, though as I mentioned before, using UDP is
now strongly discouraged due to the fragment reassembly issues causing both
severe performance issues and data integrity issues.

NFS v4 doesn't always perform as well as NFS v3, but if you are doing fcntl
locking, it's far superior for resiliency across server and client crashes.

I can try and answer questions here... I know a thing or two about NFS
(having worked with both the Linux kernel NFS implementation and the
nfs-ganesha user space server)...

Frank