What is the goal of the basic?

Just dinking around?

Or creating value of some kind?

Or solving some particular problem?

The default language that I point purple to is JavaScript, since it is so
ubiquitous and since it solves many problems in the default user interface
these days.

It looks like there are three versions of basic transpired to JavaScript

https://github.com/jashkenas/CoffeeScript/wiki/List-of-languages-that-compile-to-JS

So JavaScript has some versitility