I have no understanding of what the callback function is for.

I have converted a text file to a sqlite3 file successfully
in C.  Problem is, I had to do all the sqlite3 stuff in
main.  I want to create the database and write out the
file in a separate function.  Further, I want to read the
database and update a local data structure in a separate
C function so that main can be short.

Another problem, what is the callback function for?
char * err_msg;
char * sql = (char *)calloc(72,sizeof(char *));
sprintf(sql,("INSERT INTO Steadyshot VALUES(%d,\"%s\",\"%s\");",skip_settings,token[0],token[1]);
int return_code = sqlite3_exec(db,sql,0,0,&err_msg);
free(sql);

Note in sqlite3_exec that the third or fourth argument can be used to indicate a callback function.

I don't want to store the contents of the sqlite3 database file in a global data structure, but can
I store it in a local data structure from a callback function?

My goal is to abandon having a text file and just store the settings in a sqlite3 file. This is the straightforward way to share settings between a C program and Apache.

I could also use pointers on how to read the database in PHP from the Apache side and where the
database file should be on the Linux filesystem.