On Mon, Jan 1, 2018 at 11:46 AM, Denis Heidtmann <denis.heidtm...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> I am looking into ways to examine the serial traffic to/from my dmm.  The
> arrangement I think would be the most useful to examine is with the mfg.'s
> sw running in the win2k guest in the desktop.  This arrangement is the only
> one that successfully communicates with the dmm.
>
> I hope (assume?) that a linux program running simultaneously in the host
> would be able to capture the traffic.  Is this true?
>
> I have found the program jpnevulator.  It seems to me that it could perform
> the traffic monitoring function, but since there is a lot about serial
> communications that I do not understand I could be mistaken.  In the read
> mode will it capture the traffic in both directions (between the windows sw
> and the dmm), or must it be the recipient of the traffic, thereby removing
> the windows sw from the interaction?

I've been following this thread with interest. I've been thinking all
along, "wouldn't it be great if you could just monitor the bits on the
serial port?" This post struck me with inspiration: what you're looking for
is the equivalent of tcpdump for serial. That seems like something a lot of
people would ask about, so I googled just that: "tcpdump for serial". And
that returned a lot of relevant pages, including this one:

https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/12359/how-can-i-
monitor-serial-port-traffic

which points us to:

http://freshmeat.net/projects/linuxserialsniffer/

as well as jpnevulator.

There's a lot of other interesting talk in that thread, and links to other
threads with other educational material.

-wes

> If this whole idea is ill-founded there is Tomas' instrument.  However I
> did not see in the documentation that it was capable of any decoding.  How
> do I convert a train of pulses to a sequence of bytes and know which end
> sent them?

I am interested enough in your endeavor that I would like to get my hands
on it. If this sounds agreeable to you, please let me know and we can set
up a time to work on it together.

-wes