On Tue, 2 Jan 2018 10:53:35 -0800
John Jason Jordan <joh...@gmx.com> dijo:

>LibreOffice will import a PDF file, although you have to install an
>add-on program to get that functionality. I don't remember off the top
>of my head what the name of the add-on is, but it's in the Ubuntu
>Trusty repos. I think I found it by searching on 'LibreOffice' in
>Synaptic. Or maybe I searched on 'PDF.'

I just poked around in my LO and couldn't find a button to import a
PDF. But when I tried to just open a PDF it worked. I opened a simple
little PDF and LO displayed it in a new document window. All the text
was in text frames, one frame per line. I could put the cursor in the
text, select some of it, and apply any character formatting I wanted. I
could also do a Ctrl-a (select all), which selected all the frames, and
then change the font to whatever I wanted.

I think the reason that the text came up in one frame per line is
because that is how PDFs work - text is always truncated into
individual pieces.