montage -geometry <size> <file1> <file2> ...<filen> <output>,

where:
<size> is the horizontal number of pixels wide the result should be.
The number of pixels of an image can be found by right-clicking on
the name of the file, choosing properties, then select the image tab.
You will then see the width and height of the image in pixels.
This value is the size of one of the files. If the files significantly
differ in sizes, pick the largest to preserve all resolution.  How the
program decides how to arrange the pictures I do not know.  Experiment.
If you want to scale the size down, you could  experiment with a smaller
number--try half.

(If the vertical size is to be specified prepend an x to the number.)

The above are my  notes on doing what you want with scanned images.  You
will likely need to read the docs and make adjustments.

-Denis