Hi John,

If this is still relevant, unresolved, understanding you Ubuntu or
whatever the distro you want as requirement.

Try to walk through this list in order:
1. Is your bios up to date? If not, update it first.
   That often helps with new shiny things PC.
2. Unless you have done something to the bios settings, boot
   priorities or started another installation, you should be
   able to get the openSuse installation going.
   - I would walk back the bios changes you might have made
   and get that going for piece of mind and to become familiar
   with the bios settings - particularly related to UEFI and
   various legacy settings.
   It is not given that disabling UEFI makes magically things work.
   These days UEFI is more reliable than disabling it because
   MS Win needs it, and needs it in locked down state.
   - UEFI typically depends on number of bios settings - and often
   the PC does not boot until the only combination is right.
   - You can always use the "Reset CMOS" jumper to set BIOS to
   defaults, if there is no Bios way resetting it to defaults.
3. Another thing is to try, after you are back to default bios
   settings would be to choose the SSD as boot in the boot menu (F11).
   Bios sometimes sets the last used boot device as default for
   the next boot.
4. Failing all the above, try to make yourself opensuse 42.3 usb boot
   stick. It just worked, so the chances are that it will just work
   again. It would not achieve your favorite distro setup, but it
   could take you to the right track and turn the brick to useful
   device until you have new Ubuntu in a few months.

Hope you get it going,
Tomas