When I said card controller, I meant the card controller on/in the actual
SD card. Not the piece of HW attached to your computer.

My conclusion at the time I was trying to understand the same behavior was
that the in-card controller must be doing file transactions of some kind.
Not behaving quite like basic block device.

I recall even trying to actively corrupt the card's content, no success.
Still, all worked fine when installing Linux on said cards.

Hope it helps you avoiding wasting whole day or three on this, like I did.

Tomas