I need to use mondo archive with CentOS 7 and I'm trying to migrate to LVM.

I tried without LVM to use mondo and it failed with cannot create root/boot disks. Mind you, I'm not trying to write images to DVD or CD but to an external hard disk.

The external disk is formatted LVM2 with an EXT4 filesystem. Is there a special trick to get mondo rescue to create a boot image on an external hard drive that can be written perhaps to a USB flash drive, say a 32GB one? I suppose I can fresh install CentOS 7, mondo, and then restore as well.

If I got an external drive, it would be an M drive capable of writing to 100GB disks.