On Wed, 9 May 2018 10:03:17 -0700
Ben Koenig <techkoe...@gmail.com> dijo:

>Compiz makes your desktop look cool.
>
>Compiz can break certain applications.
>
>As an analogy, if we compare VLC to a website... then Compiz is a
>module you enable in the web server to add graphical effects to VLC.
>
>Now imagine if this web server module that you enable in http.conf was
>integrated into the webserver, and impossible to disable.
>That is what ubuntu did with compiz. They included the graphical
>effects system at a level that can't be turned off. This results in
>applications such as VLC encountering problems that go back 10 years,
>because control over how the video is rendered to the screen has been
>taken away from the video player.
>
>I hope that clarifies it. This is a topic worth keeping tabs on
>because it directly affects how server-side data is presented to the
>user on the client side.

Very interesting observations.

Re turning off compiz on Ubuntu. I have a GUI called Settings Manager
which allows me to call up additional windows for specific settings.
One of them is called Window Manager Tweaks, and its window has tabs
for various functions, one of which is labeled Compositor. At the top
of the Compositor options tab is a button to turn it off. I just did so
on my desktop (18.04) and the shadows under windows immediately
disappeared. But note that all my computers have Xubuntu and have never
had any other DE - no Gnome, Unity, Mate, etc. ad nauseam. So maybe
that I can turn it off is a function of Xfce rather than Ubuntu.

Having said that, I am going to leave it turned off just to see if it
affects the fact that VLC's option to disable the screensaver is
broken. It probably won't make any difference, but what the heck.