On 06/23/2018 12:49 PM, Richard Owlett wrote:
On 06/23/2018 11:35 AM, Tyrell Jentink wrote:
On Sat, Jun 23, 2018, 09:23 Richard Owlett <rowl...@cloud85.net> wrote:

On 06/20/2018 06:40 AM, Richard Owlett wrote:
On 06/19/2018 11:10 AM, Galen Seitz wrote:
  [*SNIP*]
Well, your Prolific PL25A1-based cable isn't just two Ethernet chips
back to back, but it's close.  It uses the same networking framework
as USB to Ethernet adapters.  Here's a bit of info on the driver.
This is as much for Russell as for you.
<https://cateee.net/lkddb/web-lkddb/USB_USBNET.html>

With both ends of the cable connected, please run the ip addr command
on one of your hosts and post the complete output.

Will be in this afternoon's post.

I'm late.
But the delay has been educational.
Several times, when asked to run command XYZ, the response has been of
the general form "that response was not consistent with what was
previously posted about that command *AND/OR* what was reported for
command ABC".

No... If I understand what you're getting at, that has been addressed, and
I was wrong... Everything looked plenty consistent, I just looked too
quickly.

OK, before you continue to get too far off track... Everything is perfect.
You have a network interface, dmesg told you it's name.

Now you can configure it like any other network interface. I assume you are
still using Debian?

Yes, the current stable release (Stretch)

Here is their relevant documentation:
https://wiki.debian.org/NetworkConfiguration

*ARRRGH*!
I says in part:
As of Stretch, the old network names like eth0, eth1 have gone away
as the device name can change. The new names are similar to these:
enp6s0, enp8s0, enp0s31f6, enp5s0.
It then ignores the issue and all examples in old style.

These are my commented results for running "ls /sys/class/net/".
Note that the only consistent characters are those indicated by "^".
Obviously there is some magical incantation to use it *no matter* where it's plugged in.
I'm frustrated.

richard@debian-jan13:~$ # no wifi connected
richard@debian-jan13:~$  ls /sys/class/net/
enp0s25  lo

richard@debian-jan13:~$ # wifi in receptacle 1
richard@debian-jan13:~$  ls /sys/class/net/
enp0s25  enp0s29u1u1u1  lo
          ^^^^^^^

richard@debian-jan13:~$ # wifi in receptacle 4
richard@debian-jan13:~$  ls /sys/class/net/
enp0s25  enp0s29u1u1u4  lo
          ^^^^^^^

richard@debian-jan13:~$ # wifi back in 1
richard@debian-jan13:~$  ls /sys/class/net/
enp0s25  enp0s29u1u1u1  lo
          ^^^^^^^

Similarly for either end of cable plugged in to receptacle 1.

richard@debian-jan13:~$ # left end of cable in receptacle 1

richard@debian-jan13:~$ # right end of cable in receptacle 1
richard@debian-jan13:~$  ls /sys/class/net/
enp0s25  enp0s29u1u1u1  lo

You SHOULD even be able to do it in NetworkManager... Just set static IP
addresses on both sides.