On 06/23/2018 07:06 PM, Dick Steffens wrote:
> I've always been able to connect various Ubuntu machines here at home
> using either Nautilus or Caja. We're back from our trip, and I want to
> move my Thunderbird profile from my laptop back to my desktop. However,
> when I try to connect to the laptop from my desktop with Caja the only
> machine visible is itself. When I try to connect to the desktop from the
> laptop using Nautilus I get an error message:
>
> Unable to access location
> Failed to retrieve share list from server: No such file or directory
>
> I didn't have this problem before we left two weeks ago.
>
> Any ideas on where to look for what's going wrong here?

reboot / power cycle your wifi router and let all the boxes reconnect
(reboot if needed).  We have an old Netgear here that needs a power
cycle every month or so to keep all the boxes connected to each other
and the cable modem.

Next, ping computer A from computer B.  use CLI and 'ifconfig' or
similar utility to determine the IP addresses if using DHCP.

If that works, then the issue is how the remote file share is set up.
You using "Nautilus or Caja" means nothing.  The share will be via NFS,
SAMBA, ssh/scp, gvfs, or whatever silly hidden protocol Ubuntu foists on
users these days.

Every so often systemd will flip out, so reboot everything.

While you "weren't looking" did the Ubuntu boxes automatically update?
Maybe a network driver module or other library was not updated.