I only have between 300 and 400 of the batch I'm interested in for now.
There is no way I will entrust my grandparents negatives to shippers and a lab.

On 2018-06-27 17:44, Tomas Kuchta wrote:
I would encourage you to scan a few negatives/transparencies, measure the
time it takes and extrapolate to cover all your negatives/positives.

When I did that years ago, I quickly realized that scanners are just too slow for what I wanted to do in a time given to me by mother nature - by couple of orders of magnitude, actually. Plus the scan quality was not that
great either.

The solutions to speed things up are either:
a) adapter for your digital camera + automation. That way you can scan and postprocess hundreds of pictures a day instead of a few with slow scanners.
With half decent DSLR, you will get high quality scans.
b) send the stash out for someone else to scan them. There are a few big and decent companies still doing it. That is what I have eventually settled
on. The price is good and the quality is decisively better than from a
desktop scanner with transparency adapter.

Until I went through this scanning discovery, I naively believed in great quality of film photography compared to digital. I was so wrong - today's
digital imaging is vastly superior, especially to old/aged films.

I hope that you find my comments useful,
Tomas

On Wed, Jun 27, 2018, 11:54 AM Russell Senior <russ...@personaltelco.net>