The easiest I’ve seen is pfSense (I think OpnSense is a clone). It gives you a
nice webby to manage users, passwords, certificates, and you can use openvpn or
ipsec. I’ve used it for a number of years to facilitate mobile connections to a
home network and/or work network (laptops, phones, tablets).

I haven’t done anything with 2FA for it. per-device certificate was sufficient.

> On Jul 3, 2018, at 10:43 PM, David Barr <daf...@dafydd.com> wrote:
>
> Good Morning,
>
> If I were to build a VPN server for transient client connections, like mobile
> devices or laptops, what would you recommend?
>
> - Bonus points for using certificates for the server ~and clients~, so
> devices would have to be "registered" in advance.
> - Bonus points for requiring 2FA on top of that, to reduce the risk of a
> lost/stolen device.
>
> I haven't looked in a while, but I recall OpenVPN was really oriented towards
> setting up permanent connections, and configuring for transient connections
> was really convoluted.
>
> Thanks!
> David
>
> --
>
> David - Offbeat               http://pgp.mit.edu/
> dafydd - Online               0xda3f18449337d6b5

> Rene Descartes walks into his neighborhood watering hole. The publican sees
> him and asks, "Will you have your usual, sir?"
>
> Descartes ponders a moment and replies, "I think not."
>
> And promptly disappears...

Louis Kowolowski                                lou...@cryptomonkeys.org
Cryptomonkeys:                                   http://www.cryptomonkeys.com/

Making life more interesting for people since 1977