I'd imagine that Rich is not using DHCP because he would like to be able to
identify the hosts on his network and doesn't feel like doing local
DNS/DHCP pair.

If my hunch is right, I would suggest using centralized DHCP IPv4 and
general network configuration for all hosts + let DHCP assign some defined
IPs based on their MAC.

That way, the user should see and manage the whole network configuration
for all hosts in one place and avoid annoyances like this one AND still
have stable/defined IPv4s.

This is just a suggestion to consider, given that this recurring type of
problem on the forum.

Tomas