How do I allow index.html or index.php and not just one or the other?

I found if I create a Directory section for subdirectories of the document root
that I can explicitly set the DirectoryIndex
for each subdirectory, but that's a pain. I'm running multiple sites and
multiple document roots on Apache 2.4.34 custom compiled.

I'm having difficulty figuring out how to snag the systemd scripts and make
them work with my custom compiled Apache.

CentOS 7 stock apache and php-fpm seem to have a module for working with
systemd.

 -- Michael C Robinson