On 10/29/18 7:46 AM, Dick Steffens wrote:

When next I have time, which might not be until tomorrow, I'll try getting the version made for Ubuntu 18 from Oracle and see if that works. That's what I have on my desktop and it's working well.

I finished today's work early, so I had time to download:

virualbox-5.2_5.2.20-125813-Ubuntu-bionic-amd64.deb

from the Oracle website. It installed without complaint once I fully removed what was there with Synaptic. Then I successfully imported a .ova and it works fine.

The only thing missing was an icon to launch VirtualBox, so I created one by right-clicking on the desktop, clicking on Create Launcher ..., and filling in the blanks. The command to start the VirtualBox GUI is virtualbox.

With that done, I think I have everything I used to have on the laptop before the SSD installation. Now to give it a few days of testing under normal operating conditions.

Thanks to all who offered advice, whether I took it or not. :-)

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens