On Mon, 29 Oct 2018, Ken Stephens wrote:

Check out Cringely's article on IBM and Red Hat.
https://www.cringely.com/

  In the 1980s I was told by IBMers that the company acknowledged it was not
a technology company but a service company. Because IBM put engineers at
mainframe client sites to oversee the big iron they gained new customers.
Their technical staff knew the IMB hardware/software was behind what other
vendors put out, but as Cringely explains, IBM was built on its sales force
and that's what allowed it to survice.

  As an aside, I see the push for everyone to put all their data as drizzle
in someone's cloud is a return to the centralized mainframe environment but
much less secure. Feh!